But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction.
You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone; for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs. Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account. But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God. And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren who are with me greet you. All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar’s household.
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Philippians 4:10-23
The Church at Philippi had a great love and respect for their Church planter and teacher, the Apostle Paul. They showed their appreciation for him by their devotion to his teachings, their prayers for his safety and their outpouring of financial support for him in his times of need. Being imprisoned, he was in no position to travel and teach or to make tents, as he had often done to support himself. He acknowledged in this epistle their generosity to him and his understanding of why they would do this. He was their teacher in the Word of God. The more of the doctrine they learned from Paul, the more appreciative they became of him and of the Lord Jesus Christ, about Whom he taught. Faithful teachers love faithful students, who are eagerly learning and diligently applying the truths they are being taught. We call this being positive to doctrine. There are actually born-again believers who are negative to doctrine, but they are the subjects of other epistles. The Pilippians were fun to feed, like little birds with their mouths open, waiting to devour the Word as Paul presented it. Paul made it clear that he knew this attitude of generosity toward him was not new. They had been deeply concerned about him for some time, but only recently were able to send help to him. The Philippians seemed to be the only Church with an understanding of his need and the willingness or means to help him. They saw the need and volunteered this help more than once, because they loved him and what he represented to them. This is proper response to a pastor of any local church. He should be adequately supported, because his time should be spent studying the Word to teach the Word. Just anyone is not qualified for such a position. Those who are called and qualified need to be supported in their profession: shepherding the flock of God.
Paul had been through a lot of different situations on his journey into Christian leadership. Sometimes in want, sometimes in relative prosperity. His security was in Jesus Christ, no matter what. “I can do all things (enjoy abundance or suffer need) by means of the One Who pours power into me" (v. 13). Still, it was a great relief to him for Epaphroditus to arrive with these provisions. Paul’s joy in receiving this gift was as much for the rewardable action of the Philippians as it was for his own needs being supplied.
Their gifts to him and others in need were sacrifices to God Himself, in the work of the gospel ministry. Because of their compassion and generous giving, their need would be amply supplied by God, the creator and sustainer of all that there is.
Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done. Proverbs 19:17
So, Paul was confident he would have survived without it, but assured them that they had done a good thing. Well, yeah!
This behavior among God’s people brings glory to God, Himself.
There were other brethren with Paul, and they sent their greetings. Paul reminds them to greet “every saint in Christ Jesus.” That’s every believer, not just the “holy Joe” types. Every believer is a saint. It means “set apart unto Christ.” We who believe in Him are different from the worldlings. It is not always immediately apparent, but God knows. In verse 22 Paul mentions even the saints of Caesar’s household! Of Caesar’s household, mind you. Probably some more fruit of Paul’s labor, while in prison. There really are no accidents in the Christian Life, brethren. Wherever Paul was, that is where God had placed him, for a particular purpose. Likewise you and me.
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ (His perfect provision for our every need) is with the spirits of those who trust in Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment