First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, because your faith is being proclaimed throughout the whole world. For God, whom I serve in my spirit in the preaching of the gospel of His Son, is my witness as to how unceasingly I make mention of you, always in my prayers making request, if perhaps now at last by the will of God I may succeed in coming to you. For I long to see you so that I may impart some spiritual gift to you, that you may be established; that is, that I may be encouraged together with you while among you, each of us by the other’s faith, both yours and mine. I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that often I have planned to come to you (and have been prevented so far) so that I may obtain some fruit among you also, even as among the rest of the Gentiles. I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish. So, for my part, I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome. Romans 1:8-15
Paul was always so proud of the faithful Churches, even if he had not been the one who planted them. This was the case with the Roman congregation. He was not their pastor, but he was their teacher, by way of the written word. He not only wrote encouraging words to them, he said complimentary words about them, wherever he spoke. He really wanted to visit them and seemed at this time to expect that would happen. He knew the importance of face-to-face teaching, to stabilize and strengthen the Church in her faith, just as it would be encouraging to himself, to engage in close fellowship with these steadfast believers.
It is always unspeakably refreshing to see new believers coming along in their knowledge of Bible doctrine, and to witness their intense desire to know more and more of Christ. It is a relationship much like parent and children. There is a bond between Bible teacher and Bible student that surpasses all other fellowship. From the time of Paul’s conversion, he seems to have been ravenous for the Church-age doctrines. He had formal training in the Mosaic Law, which was the “schoolmaster,” laying the foundation for the entrance of the Messiah. Once the risen Christ got his attention, he was a quick study in the wonderful doctrines regarding the Work of Christ and the Christian Way of Life.
Somehow, it was not in God’s will for Paul to meet with this Church. He was prevented more than once from making that trip. He wrote this letter from Corinth. He went from Corinth to Jerusalem on a benevolence mission and was arrested there. When he finally arrived in Rome, it was as a prisoner. At this writing, though, he was looking forward to seeing the Roman congregation for fellowship and preaching, to advance the faith of all concerned. He was always ready to preach to anyone willing to listen; Greeks and barbarians (foreigners. Non-Greek Gentiles) and also to Romans.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “BUT THE RIGHTEOUS man SHALL LIVE BY FAITH.” Romans 1:16-17
Romans 1:16 is a profound statement. We love to teach children to memorize that verse, because it says everything about the inclusiveness of the gospel message. As a Jew and former Pharisee, Paul might have been expected to tone down his preaching, but no. He could not be ashamed of the gospel. The gospel is God’s Own power, bestowing salvation to, get this: EVERYONE who believes (the gospel). Yes, it was presented to the Jews first, but the Greeks can partake, too.
And what is the gospel? Good News about the perfect person and finished work of Jesus Christ. God’s plan of grace is incredibly complex in design and structure, but amazingly simple in accessibility. Anyone can receive it. Everyone should receive it. Some do, and they are saved to the uttermost.
“In it” (the gospel), God’s Own righteousness is revealed. How? By the faith of one ministering to the faith of others. Saving faith to living faith-rest. By faith we receive eternal life, by faith we walk day-by-day.
There is only one way to have God’s righteousness. By faith alone in Christ alone. The only real righteousness a human can have is the righteousness which belongs to God, because He gives us His righteousness when we believe on His Son.
No comments:
Post a Comment