Simon Peter followed
Jesus, and so did another disciple. Since that disciple was known to the high
priest, he entered with Jesus into the courtyard of the high priest, but
Peter stood outside at the door. So the other disciple, who was known to the
high priest, went out and spoke to the servant girl who kept watch at the door,
and brought Peter in. The servant girl at the door said to Peter, “You
also are not one of this man's disciples, are you?” He said, “I am not.” Now
the servants and officers had made a charcoal fire, because it was cold,
and they were standing and warming themselves. Peter also was with them,
standing and warming himself. John 18:15-18
After the shock of seeing Jesus arrested in the garden,
Peter followed Jesus. John doesn’t mention the arresting officers or anyone
else in the group, but Peter and he, John, were following their Lord Jesus, to
see for themselves what would happen next. John also makes no mention of the
other nine disciples, who apparently had scattered in the dark, after Jesus was
taken. Each man has his own reaction to fear and stress. Peter and I will follow and
watch.
John seems to have had acquaintance with the high priest, so he was allowed to walk right in with Jesus and His captors. Peter lurked outside, and John
used his familiarity with the leadership to have Peter admitted into the
courtyard. The girl keeping the door thought Peter might be one of Jesus’
disciples, but he denied it, and stood warming himself by the enemies’ fire.
Stunned, confused, afraid of what would be done with Jesus,
and certainly not wanting to bring attention to himself, Peter hovered nearby
and waited. He was not the boisterous loudmouth now, but the quiet observer, trying to
be anonymous. It wasn’t easy.
The high priest then
questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching. Jesus answered
him, “I have spoken openly to the world. I have always taught in
synagogues and in the temple, where all Jews come together. I have said
nothing in secret. Why do you ask me? Ask those who have
heard me what I said to them; they know what I said.”When he had said these
things, one of the officers standing by struck Jesus with his hand,
saying, “Is that how you answer the high priest?” Jesus
answered him, “If what I said is wrong, bear witness about the wrong; but
if what I said is right, why do you strike me?” Annas
then sent him bound to Caiaphas the high priest. John 18:19-24
The high priest (emeritus - Annas) had to start somewhere,
so he proceeded to ask Jesus pertinent questions about His ministry, especially
His doctrine. Jesus’ answer: bring witnesses. There are no secrets. I teach in
public, where all the Jews could hear and have heard me. Ask them what I’ve
taught. By now, everyone knew what Jesus taught. The Pharisees had watched His every move and had heard Him teach.The questions were just
formality.
His words elicited a blow from an officer, for insubordination (they didn’t like the answer). Jesus observed that they may not like His answer,
but could not deny the truth of what He had said. Annas had had enough and sent
Him on to Caiaphas, the official high priest and his own son-in-law. Of course,
we recognize this series of interviews as the inner workings of a “good ol’ boy”
organization, and it had only just begun.
Now Simon Peter was
standing and warming himself. So they said to him, “You also are not one of his
disciples, are you?” He denied it and said, “I am not.” One
of the servants of the high priest, a relative of the man whose ear Peter
had cut off, asked, “Did I not see you in the garden with him?” Peter
again denied it, and at once a rooster crowed. John 18:25-27
Peter was still hovering by the fire, as Jesus was sent to
His second interrogator. Someone else seemed to recognize him. “Aren’t you one
of his disciples?” “I am not.” Another one, who had been in the garden when
Malchus’ ear was cut off, insisted that he had seen Peter there. Peter denied
it the third time, and then heard the rooster crow.
Jesus had warned Peter of this very incident in His farewell
message to the eleven at supper (John 13:36-38), after Judas had been dismissed.
It must have been painful for Jesus to tell Peter about this coming failure. We
know it was devastating for Peter to realize what he had just done. Peter’s
flaming, human zeal had driven him to cut off a man’s ear (probably
meaning to behead him) in defense of his Master. Now the zeal had fizzled in response
to enemy oppression, but the human viewpoint was still operating, in Peter’s
instinct for self-preservation.
John was apparently not even questioned. He did a better job
of blending in, I guess, without needing to give account for his presence
there. As he mentioned, the high priest was familiar with him. For the servants
to hone in on Peter and heckle him in such a way seems to indicate a dislike
for him, and a desire to bring criminal charges against him, also. Simon Peter
didn’t go unnoticed, ever, I suspect.
The other nine didn’t have to endure this ordeal, because
they were not present, and no one seemed concerned about them. The Jewish religious
leaders had their man, and would perform whatever illegal maneuvers necessary
to put Him to death “for the benefit of the people.”
Peter and John were there. Whatever was to happen, they
would witness, even if from a dark distance, and even in spite of Peter’s
shameful lies. We know he meant it when he declared he would lay down his own
life for Jesus. Jesus knew he meant it, too. Jesus also knew the weakness of
the flesh, and the terrible self-delusion of the carnal mind, especially in
fear. Peter had been proud and presumptive before, certain of what he would and
would not do in a given situation.
Never again.
No comments:
Post a Comment