Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus
our Lord? Are not you my
workmanship in the Lord? If to others I am not an apostle, at
least I am to you, for you are the seal of my
apostleship in the Lord. I Corinthians 9:1-2
As an apostle of the gospel of Christ, Paul had authority to
teach and judge Church practice. As a born-again believer in Jesus Christ, he
and all other believers had the freedom to ignore old cultural taboos. Some
were questioning his authority, but Paul stated it clearly, more than once in
his writings. It was a requirement of apostleship to have seen the risen
Christ. We know that happened on the road to Damascus. We don’t know whether it
happened in Arabia. Those who were saved under his ministry had no doubt of his
credentials.
In the previous chapter, Paul had pointed out that our
freedoms as believers must be handled tactfully among those who are new to the
faith and could be easily offended by things that are considered sinful to
them. It would be better, he said, not to eat than to hinder a brother’s
advance to maturity. The law of liberty is overruled by the law of love,
resulting in the law of supreme sacrifice.
This is my defense to those who would examine
me. Do we not have the right to eat and
drink? Do we not have the right to take
along a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas? Or is it only
Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working for a living? Who serves as a soldier at his own
expense? Who plants a vineyard without eating
any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock without getting some of the milk?
Do I say these things on human authority? Does
not the Law say the same? For it is written in the Law of Moses, “You shall not muzzle an ox when it
treads out the grain.” Is it for oxen that God is concerned? Does
he not certainly speak for our sake? It was written for our sake, because the plowman should plow in hope and
the thresher thresh in hope of sharing in the crop. If we have sown spiritual things
among you, is it too much if we reap material things from you? If
others share this rightful claim on you, do not we even more?
Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right,
but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the
way of the gospel of Christ. Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple
service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share
in the sacrificial offerings? In the same way, the Lord commanded
that those who proclaim the gospel should
get their living by the gospel. I Corinthians 9:3-14
The apostles were to be materially provided for by the
churches, as their ministry was their priority in life. It was Biblical
principle that the ox not be muzzled as he treads the corn and that the
husbandman have access to the produce of his crops. Even before the birth of
the Church, when Jesus sent out His apostles to preach and heal, He told them
they would be provided for by receptive people along the way. The apostles could, and
most did, take their wives along on their missions. Paul and Barnabas did not,
and rather than expect support from the congregations, they earned their own
living as they preached the gospel message among the Gentiles.
Though he had the right to such support, Paul was not demanding it. He was not preaching for monetary gain, and no one had better
even insinuate such a thing. He was preaching because he must. Verses 15-18 But
I have made no use of any of these
rights, nor am I writing these things to secure any such provision. For I would
rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting.
For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting.
For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!
For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of
my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship. What
then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of
charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.
Saul of Tarsus had not volunteered for this mission. He had been drafted, trained and deployed in the battle of the ages: the Angelic Conflict (Acts 9). He had direct orders from his commander in chief, the Lord Jesus Christ. That was Paul’s motive for preaching, no matter what the cost to himself. Not to do so was unthinkable. Personal comforts were not his issue. Lost souls were. Accurate doctrine was. He had the goods and was compelled to share.
For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all,
that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in
order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though
not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. To
those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being
outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I
might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I
might win the weak. I have become all things to all
people, that by all means I might save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its
blessings.
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. I Corinthians 9:19-27
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. I Corinthians 9:19-27
Being freed from legalisms, hang-ups and taboos gave Paul
the advantage in his evangelism. He could mingle with the locals and
participate in their culture while presenting the gospel of grace to all who
were willing to hear it. I’m not fond of sports analogies, but a lot of
preachers (including Paul) seem to be, and this is the Word of God. Paul seems to indicate an
all-out personal effort to do whatever it took to get the attention and win the
souls of those to whom he preached. If that in some way inconvenienced him, it
was worth it. He would not require of others what he wouldn’t do himself. The
rewards for faithful service are certain and imperishable.
Amen and amen!! I love that HE uses the athlete as an example!!
ReplyDeleteand that Paul's teachings granted leniency but practiced frugality. What a guy!!