At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, “Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you.”
He replied, “Go tell that fox, ‘I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.’ In any case, I must press on today and tomorrow and the next day—for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem!
“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing. Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. Luke 13:31-35
Now we see that there were some closet believers among the Pharisees. Nicodemus comes to mind, and Joseph of Aramathea, who we know have had intimate dialogue with Jesus, and who helped with His burial after His Crucifixion. They are not named here, so possibly there were many more. These men were religious leaders; teachers, and would have had connections with the political system, for that is usually the way these prominent religions work within a nation. It is all about power and influence. And they would have kept their discipleship quiet, or they would no longer have been Pharisees. Closet believers are still believers, and they serve a purpose, too. We know some of these men were more open in their faith later on, which would be our expectation of real faith. Some folks are slow to declare their loyalties. Jesus knows who they are.
These particular Pharisees came to warn Jesus that Herod was closing in on Him and meant to kill Him. This didn't take our Lord by surprise. Nothing does. He had a pointed message for "that fox." Here's the message: I have important work to do on my way to Jerusalem. I will not break stride, for Jerusalem is my final earthly destination. There is an appointed time for My perfection.
In bringing many sons and daughters to glory, it was fitting that God, for whom and through whom everything exists, should make the pioneer of their salvation perfect through what he suffered. Hebrews 2:10
Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him...Hebrews 5:8-9
There was no question what awaited our Lord in Jerusalem. That was His whole objective.
And then the lament: "Jerusalem, Jerusalem!" (The national capital and Holy Sanctuary of Israel.) I have reached out to you and you have rejected me over and over. I have loved you and longed to cover you with my protection and you will not let me. I must go forward now, and leave you to your rebellion. You see me now; you have seen me these three plus years in ministry for you, and you still reject. You will not see me again until I come back in glory. You will recognize me then and you will welcome me with tears of joy and shouts of praise for the One Who has always been your Only Hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment