I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper,
that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the
world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you
know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.
“I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. After
a little while the world will no longer see Me, but you will see Me; because
I live, you will live also. In that day you will know that I am in My Father,
and you in Me, and I in you. He who has My commandments and keeps them is the
one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will
love him and will disclose Myself to him.” Judas (not Iscariot) *said to Him,
“Lord, what then has happened that You are going to disclose Yourself to us and
not to the world?” Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will
keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We (will come to him
and make Our abode with him. He who does not love Me (does not keep
My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent
Me.
“These things I have spoken to you while abiding with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the
Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your
remembrance all that I said to you. Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to
you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be
troubled, nor let it be fearful. You heard that I said to you, ‘I go away, and I
will come to you.’ If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the
Father, for the Father is greater than I. Now I have told you before it
happens, so that when it happens, you may believe. I will not speak much more
with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me; but
so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father
commanded Me. Get up, let us go from here. John 14:16-31
First order of business for the ascended Christ: ask the
Father to give the believers another Helper, to be with us forever. And He
will. These details were already decreed, as indicated by Jesus’ explanation of
Who this Helper would be and how He would help. He is identified as the Spirit
of truth. He would be known only to born-again believers, because the world
cannot perceive or receive Him. He is God the Holy Spirit. He is our contact
with Jesus and the Father. He lives with us and in us. Jesus didn’t explain all
the details of the baptism and indwelling of the Holy Spirit to these men at
this time, because they obviously were already suffering from information
overload, and it had only just begun. It was sufficient at this time to assure
them the Comforter was coming, and that after He came, they would understand.
This is another new operating asset for the Church age. In
Old Testament times, and during Jesus’ earthly ministry, the Holy Spirit could
and would temporarily empower the believers for certain works, under the
authority of Jesus. Now, when Jesus is physically gone from us, the Holy Spirit
permanently indwells every believer from the moment of salvation, to energize,
inform and make intercession for us as we live and work. The world no longer
sees Jesus. We believers see Him in each other, but especially in His Word. He
continues to live, in His Church, through His written Word and through the
indwelling Holy Spirit.
Because of the Holy Spirit’s help, we can see that the
Father and Son are one, and we are in union with His eternal essence. This is
the basis of our Christian dynamics—God’s grace provision in saving us,
teaching us, and bringing us to maturity in the faith. Believers’ positive
volition to Bible doctrine is the determining factor in spiritual growth and is
the key to loving Jesus. That is our means of learning the techniques of the
Christian Way of Life. Believers who ignore Bible doctrine really don’t come to
know and Him much better than unbelievers; those believers are “flying by the
seat of their pants” and judging their own spirituality by “feelings,” therefore
they have no foundation for loving Him. Those who do know and love Him will
have close communion with Him, because they are equipped to perceive His word
and His will. The Father has decreed this close fellowship with those who obey
the Son (v.21).
Jude was curious about the mechanics of the believers being
able to see Jesus, but not the world. In verse 23, there’s that 3rd
class condition “if” again: “if a man loves me (and maybe he won’t, but if he
does), he WILL guard My Word. It is a given. Loving Jesus = guarding,
observing, practicing His Word, thereby growing in grace and being in
fellowship with Him and the the Father. Very simple. If you don’t love Me, you
won’t keep My word. This is evidence of our fellowship, or lack of fellowship
with God. Well, the world certainly does not know or love Jesus, or have any
reverence for His Word, and they do not have the Holy Spirit
indwelling/helping, therefore they cannot perceive Jesus. They make false
assumptions based on some superficial readings of His message to the Jews, but
they do not and cannot know Him. Faith comes first. Then understanding. Then
love.
Jesus had to teach them about the Holy Spirit’s indwelling
and leadership while He was still with them, because His time was short. They
didn’t grasp the information at that time, but He assured them that they would
later. The Holy Spirit would bring these things to their remembrance after He became
part of their lives, on the day of Pentecost. Jesus knew they were totally
befuddled now, but later on, when they needed it, the stored knowledge would become
clear. That was the Helper’s job. Jesus’ going to the Father was to their
advantage, because the Father’s spiritual power would be more far-reaching than
Jesus could be in His humanity.
He had told them beforehand, so they would understand when it happened, and believe in His deity. Now Satan was coming on the scene, and the showdown was about to begin. Jesus had nothing to fear from him, because he had no power over God the Son. It was just one more fact to deal with at that time.
He had told them beforehand, so they would understand when it happened, and believe in His deity. Now Satan was coming on the scene, and the showdown was about to begin. Jesus had nothing to fear from him, because he had no power over God the Son. It was just one more fact to deal with at that time.
Everything Jesus did was
in direct obedience to the Father. Things were about to change
drastically. He was preparing the eleven as best those bewildered humans could
be prepared, before the fact.
“OK, guys, let’s move on, now.”
No comments:
Post a Comment