We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Each of us should please our neighbors for their good, to build them up. For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: “The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.” For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.
May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. For I tell you that Christ has become a servant of the Jews on behalf of God’s truth, so that the promises made to the patriarchs might be confirmed and, moreover, that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written:
“Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles; I will sing the praises of your name.”
Again, it says, “Rejoice, you Gentiles, with his people.”
And again, “Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles; let all the peoples extol him.”
And again, Isaiah says, “The Root of Jesse will spring up, one who will arise to rule over the nations; in him the Gentiles will hope.”
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:1-13
Now I’ve received Christ and been set free, both from sin and religion. All foods are acceptable. I will never be judged for sin, because Jesus took that judgment for me. What is there for me but to relax, enjoy life to the fullest and not be bothered about petty rules of conduct. Should I strut?
Think: now I’m all grown up and self-sustaining. I am free to go at my own pace and do whatever I’m trained to do. I’ve long since learned to walk, talk, read, write and function as a fully developed human being. Why should I be concerned about those who are younger and less experienced in life? Why should I adjust my pace to suit the infant, toddler or teenager who is trying to accompany me? Why, indeed!
Did Jesus give us His time and attention? Does He teach us, comfort us, lead us carefully along the treacherous paths? Did He give us His written Word and the Holy Spirit to guide us and intercede for us? Why didn’t He just save us and turn us out into the world to figure it out for ourselves? How long do we think we could last like that? How quickly could we mature? How well could we discern the truths a believer must understand to navigate life in the devil’s world? That is a formula for despair, because God has a system of teaching for His Church. We must be nurtured in the faith. Whatever we learn in life is taught by precept upon precept. We don’t just jump in and swim.
Salvation is only the beginning for us. We must learn and grow. That’s why we have the scriptures and pastor-teachers and more mature believers to instruct and encourage us in our pilgrimage. We are here to help each other, brethren. We must support and encourage each other, especially the younger, weaker among us, who have yet to learn to relax completely in the Christian Way of Life. They are weaker in the faith because of inexperience and immaturity. They are weaker in their understanding of our freedom IN CHRIST. They are weaker when satanic oppression comes against them and are more likely to lose confidence in their salvation and feel unable to carry on.
The Royal Family Honor Code requires flexibility on the part of the more mature believers to exercise impersonal love and consideration in nurturing the younger. This way, we grow together in the faith, demonstrating the grace of our Savior to the human race in general, and love to God’s people as members of His family. This brings glory to God as all things work together, in us, toward the fulfillment of all His promises to Abraham and to us. He is our joy, our peace and our hope. We can afford to be generous to those who need our patience. Kindness never hurts. Love bears.
No comments:
Post a Comment