Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to
those who by nature are not gods. But now that you know God—or
rather are known by God—how is it that you are turning back to those weak and
miserable forces? Do you wish to be enslaved
by them all over again? You are observing special days and months
and seasons and years! I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted
my efforts on you. I plead with you, brothers and sisters, become
like me, for I became like you. You did me no wrong. As you know,
it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you, and even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with
contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if
I were Christ Jesus himself. Where, then, is your blessing of me
now? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out
your eyes and given them to me. Have I now become your enemy by
telling you the truth?
Those people are zealous to win you over, but
for no good. What they want is to alienate you from us, so that you may have
zeal for them. It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is
good, and to be so always, not just when I am with you. My dear
children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed
in you, how I wish I could be with you now and change my tone,
because I am perplexed about you! Galatians 4:8-20
The Galatian believers had formerly been pagans. Celtic Gauls. They
worshipped and served false gods which must be appeased. Now, they have come to
know freedom and be known by the One True God, and Paul is astonished at how
easily they are influenced to turn back; not to paganism, but to legalism,
which is the same principle. Either way, it is reversionism; slavery to a
worldly system which cannot save. That system requires Sabbath keeping (days),
High Holy Days (months), seasons and Jubilees (years), very much like the astrological
superstitions of their pre-salvation lives. Paul states that they ARE observing
these things…and he is not happy about it. He was actually quite upset with
them over this reversionism. How could this be? He was afraid they were
abandoning true doctrine for false religion.
I have to defend the Galatians just a bit. Coming to Christ
as an adult who has known only worldly teachings and superstitions, one is
easily confused and more than a little insecure about what is and is not the
Christian Way of Life. At first, many of us feel that there must be some works
required of us, some rules of behavior to prove to the world and to ourselves
that we really do belong to Jesus. Paul was not constantly present with this
Church to keep them focused on truth. They were baby believers, and because
they were being flattered, pressured and threatened by the Judaizers to perform
a certain way, they may have believed it was necessary for their spiritual
growth and witness. It can happen today, among young believers seeking how to
fully participate in the Christian “experience.” The Word of God is more important
than any experience, but it takes some maturing to come to realize that. These
people were immature, zealous and maybe more than a little unstable. That made
them easy prey for the legalists. And it made Paul angry. “Have I been wasting my
time with you?”
They were Gentiles, with no background in Judaism. Clean
slates, as born again believers. Paul, a former Pharisee had only Judaism in
his background. Because of what he had learned from the risen Jesus, his slate
was cleaned, too. Old cliché: “the ground is level at the foot of the cross.”
Paul had become as a Gentile, in Christianity. He admonishes the Gentiles to
become as Gentiles, too, not bound by legalisms and traditions, but completely
free IN CHRIST. They had received him joyfully when he brought them the gospel,
welcoming him as the messenger of Christ that he actually was. He was sick at
the time, and they listened to his teaching with patience and positive reception and
great love for him. “You loved me then. Question: does telling you the truth
make me your enemy now?”
Sometimes, it does. People are very sensitive about their personal
beliefs and human attachments, and can become hostile when their practices are
challenged. The Judaizers had been “loving up” the Galatians in Paul’s absence,
and turning them from the doctrine Paul taught. That was not productive for the
Galatians, who should have been approaching maturity in the faith, but had been
set back by this nagging from the Jews. Paul was trying to lead them on to
maturity “until Christ is formed in you,” and now would essentially have to
start at Basics # 1 to get them back on track.
Paul realized he was coming across harshly in this letter,
and wished to be face-to-face with the Galatians, so as to be able to speak
with them in a less abrasive manner, and refocus their priorities. This
side-tracking of their faith was a matter of great urgency to Paul, and his
letter expresses that urgency. The objective is to grow IN GRACE! Legalists
will confuse you every time, if you are not on solid doctrinal footing,
confident of the perfect atonement of Jesus Christ and your permanent position
IN HIM.
No comments:
Post a Comment