Thursday, July 12, 2012

For Your Upbuilding

I have been a fool! You forced me to it, for I ought to have been commended by you. For I was not at all inferior to these super-apostles, even though I am nothing. The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with utmost patience, with signs and wonders and mighty works. For in what were you less favored than the rest of the churches, except that I myself did not burden you? Forgive me this wrong!

Here for the third time I am ready to come to you. And I will not be a burden, for I seek not what is yours but you. For children are not obligated to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. If I love you more, am I to be loved less? But granting that I myself did not burden you, I was crafty, you say, and got the better of you by deceit. Did I take advantage of you through any of those whom I sent to you? I urged Titus to go, and sent the brother with him. Did Titus take advantage of you? Did we not act in the same spirit? Did we not take the same steps?

Have you been thinking all along that we have been defending ourselves to you? It is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ, and all for your upbuilding, beloved. For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish—that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder. I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced. 2 Corinthians 12:11-21

Why hadn’t these Corinthian believers been defending Paul to his accusers, rather than leaving him “hanging out to dry,” not challenging the lies of the Judiazers? Paul had been embarrassed, having to so vigorously remind them of his integrity and his authenticity as the apostle to the Gentiles. They shouldn’t have needed reminding of these facts, since he had previously shown them all the qualifying signs of apostleship. How could they believe they were being neglected?

That’s the most telling characteristic of immature believers. They are still easily swayed by emotion and easily confused by lies, innuendo and showmanship. A glamorous personality flashing a mouthful of teeth and appealing to their selfish basic nature can neutralize the solid doctrinal teaching they have received, but have not really learned to apply. He’ll tell them that the pastor/teacher is too dry, technical, boring, repetitious, self-seeking, milking them for money, not compassionate, inventing his own gospel, teaching falsehoods. He’ll tell them that their emotional and material needs are the most important thing, and that doctrine is secondary, at best. He’ll emphasize Jesus’ unconditional love while ignoring Jesus’ authority, sovereignty, justice and omnipotence. He’ll tell them that what they need to do is perform the rituals and not worry about the details of the Word of God. And since the pastor/teacher is away, and these babies crave attention, they tend to fall for the propaganda of the wolves.

This whole defense Paul had been presenting was not to vindicate himself to the Corinthians, but in the name of Jesus Christ, and through the doctrinal authority he’d been given, to build up their faith and confidence in the truth of his ministry. He feared that when he arrived there in person, he and the Corinthian believers would be disappointed in each other. That would certainly be the case, if they were still behaving like pagans in their carnal state. It was important that they be in spiritual fellowship with God, with Paul and with each other, so that when he met with them it would be a time of love and rejoicing, not of discipline and sorrow.

In that time of slow communications, Paul was apprehensive, even though he had been briefed by Titus that the Corinthians were getting their spiritual act together. Time goes by and things can change, especially with a volatile people who have been infiltrated by sinister impostors.

The issue with Paul was the assurance and the steady spiritual growth of his sheep. For that to occur, they must have total confidence in his authority to teach them the truth about Jesus Christ, with no interference from Satan’s hoardes. They didn’t need any setbacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment