Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Third Heaven

I must go on boasting. Though there is nothing to be gained by it, I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows. And I know that this man was caught up into paradise—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter. On behalf of this man I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses—though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth; but I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:1-10

Paul had already said a lot in trying to squelch the false prophets’ slander. He called it “boasting,” because in defending his apostleship, it was necessary to list his qualifications, his accomplishments and the hardships and abuses he had endured. The abuse was by no means over with, and he wasn’t finished with his narration, because there was a much more dramatic experience to tell. He acknowledged that there was nothing to be earned by such self-defense, but his integrity must be demonstrated. That’s why he gave the Church this account of his “out of body” experience.
vv. 1-3 — This is Paul’s experience (see v. 7). He was stoned to death at
Lystra. Paul was caught up into the presence of God.
1st heaven — where are the “birds of heaven.”
2nd heaven — where are the “stars of heaven.”
3rd heaven — where is the abode of God.
v. 7 — God put a zipper on the mouth of Paul. He was given a thorn in
the flesh to keep him humble.--from J. Vernon McGee's notes on 2 Corinthians 12
This event was reported in Acts 14:19 “But Jews came from Antioch and Iconium, (to Lystra) and having persuaded the crowds, they stoned Paul and dragged him out of the city, supposing that he was dead.”

He was stoned. The Jews thought he was dead. He appeared to be dead. Maybe he WAS dead. He seemed not to know, for sure. What he knew for sure was that he found himself in paradise (the abode of believers who had died and were awaiting resurrection). He was impressed with what he HEARD there; he didn’t mention anything he saw. These things could not be told; man could not speak of them. Paul had been forbidden to speak of them. If he were to speak of them, the hearers would be overwhelmed with wonder and place Paul on a pedestal. This was such a magnificent event that Paul was given a “thorn in the flesh” to keep him humbled. Satan was specifically allowed to buffet and taunt him, lest he become too self-important; to keep him reminded that he was only human and must depend on the Lord’s grace at all times. See “Paul’s Thorn” May 25, 2012.

That’s where we believers connect with the Power of God: at the point of our own weakness. God does for us what we cannot do for ourselves. “Stand still and see the deliverance of the Lord (Exodus 14:13” “ I will take you through…(Isaiah 43:2)” “the Lord will, with the temptation make a way of escape, that you may be able to bear it (I Corinthians 10:13)” “Cast your burden on the Lord and He will sustain you…(Psalm 55:22)”

Therefore, in all the trials and tribulations Paul had just told the Church about, he knew that his weaknesses opened the door for God to show His omnipotence. If Paul could handle it, Paul would handle it and be thought a super-being. Paul couldn’t handle it, so God had to handle it, thereby demonstrating His great grace and power to the believers in need and to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment