Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness. Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble. But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.
I John 2:9-11
Please keep in mind John is writing to the Church here. Born-again believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. He is instructing us about fellow believers: "brother or sister." Members of the family of God. Not just people in general. We believers can sometimes be quite ornery about our lifestyle, manner of worship and doctrinal beliefs. Of course I know I'm right. If you actually believe anything you know you're right. Then there are those who don't seem to believe anything, much. We know they're wrong. The issue is: if a person professes a belief in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross, that person is a Christian. That is common among all truly Christian churches. He is my brother, a person who is IN CHRIST, as I am. He will spend eternity with me and all the others who are Royal Family. If I am living in the light of God's Word, I will love those who are children of my Father. (Notice he doesn't say we have to LIKE them.) They have the most important thing in common with me: eternal life. They are pilgrims here just as I am. We are on the same journey. Hating each other is stupid and unproductive. It is NOT the behavior of spiritually enlightened believers. Animosity toward fellow believers gives the worldlings all the more reason to ridicule and despise all of us, because they don't know what the real issue is, anyway. They just see us insulting each other and bringing shame on the Body of Christ. Most of those doctrines we squabble over are not necessary to our salvation. The squabbles are distractions to our purpose, which is to proclaim the Person and Work of the only Savior, Jesus Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment